Opportunity type: Work Experience
At BDO, we believe in investing in our people to help them grow, both professionally and personally. The foundation of our business is strong relationship, with colleagues, clients and other stakeholders and we work hard every day to make this a reality. Our commitment is to create unlimited growth by giving our people continuous opportunities and our client’s unparalleled support.
BDO’s global organisation extends across 167 countries and territories, with 88,120 people working out of 1,617 offices – and we’re all working towards one goal: to provide our clients with exceptional service. Our firms across the organisation cooperate closely and comply with consistent operating principles and quality standards.
BDO South Africa has a vacancy for Junior Data Scientists in the Financial Services unit commencing in January 2022 to work anywhere in South Africa.
The Junior Data Scientists will be joining an exciting new Financial Services division within BDO and should ideally be statistically and quantitatively inclined, whilst being able to adapt to the different business environments our clients operate in. Relevant knowledge/experience with Python and/or R, statistical models, SQL and data visualization will significantly advance your application. You must be a team player, must be able to learn complex topics quickly and must have a collaborative and technology development mindset. Essentially, you are a problem solver at heart.
Reporting to the manager you will inter alia be responsible for:
- Identifying opportunities in which data science can aid/improve the project you are assigned to
- Working with stakeholders throughout the organization and with clients to identify opportunities for leveraging data to drive business solutions.
- Obtaining and analysing data from databases to drive optimization and improvement of client technology solutions.
- Assessing the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Developing custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Using predictive modelling to increase and optimize client experiences and other business outcomes.
- Coordinating with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Developing processes and tools to monitor and analyse model performance and data accuracy.
- Identifying valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertaking pre-processing of structured and unstructured data
- Analysing large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Building predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Presenting information using data visualization techniques
- Proposing solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborating with audit and product development teams
- Using strong business acumen, as well as an ability to communicate findings, and mine vast amounts of data for useful insights
- Using these insights to influence how an organisation approaches business challenges
- Using a combined knowledge of computer science and applications, modelling, statistics, analytics and maths to solve problems
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ideally an undergraduate degree and Honours in a quantitative field, e.g. Statistics, Engineering, Maths/Finance, Actuarial Science, BSc Computer Science, BCom Information Systems / Informatics
- A postgraduate degree in any of the above is advantageous, but not essential
- Proven experience working with statistics and programming languages
- Experience with machine learning modelling and software development/programming is advantageous, but not essential
- Experience/knowledge of data governance, data lineage and other data management principles
- Must be a team player
- Have a passion and/or interest in emerging technologies for example: machine learning, cloud, Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and robotics.
- Must be well-versed in SQL, Python, R or other coding languages
- Have a passion and/or interest in finance and the world of financial services, as this is a financial services-based position
- Strong client orientation
- Attention to detail
- Ability to priorities and handle stress
- Task driven & delivery focused
- Ability to work with all levels within an organization
- Socially aware and able to work as part of a diverse team • Must be interested to work with cloud-based technologies