To excel in this role, the merchandise planner should have strong analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills. They should be detail-oriented, organized, and able to work under pressure. Typical requirements include the following:
1. Analysing market trends, sales history, stock levels and competitors to identify opportunities and risks.
2. Developing assortment plans that meet customer demands, seasonal trends, and brand strategies.
3. Creating and maintaining sales and stock forecasts to drive optimal stock levels and turnover.
4. Collaborating with suppliers to ensure timely delivery, stock flow and quality standards.
5. Monitoring sales performance, stock availability, and margin levels to identify and implement corrective actions.
6. Communicating with buying, store operations and marketing teams to ensure consistent messaging and execution of product plans.
7. Providing analysis and recommendations to support markdown, clearance, and promotional events.
8. Participating in business product strategy reviews, reporting, and other operational activities.