Location: Cape Town, WC, ZA
Company: Sanlam Group
Who are we?
Sanlam Group Technology is responsible for the provision of a digitally enabled technology service as a group COE, drive business and transformation and provide group-wide digital and data architecture. We operate the various technology platforms and shared services, ensure Cyber and Information Security resilience, and act as technology governance and risk orchestrator for technology across Sanlam.
Data & Digital Academy Graduate
An exciting opportunity is available for soon-to-be or recent graduates to join the Sanlam Data & Digital Academy. We are seeking Africa’s brightest minds who are eager to build and develop technical, analytical, and business skills while working on real business cases within the Sanlam Business Intelligence and Group Technology ecosystems.
Being selected for a Data & Digital Academy Graduate position will entail:
- Permanent employment from the onset.
- Market-related benefits and rewards.
- Access to business mentors, qualified life coaches and subject-matter experts to guide your career advancement.
- Hands-on experience in one of the largest and most diverse FS organisations in Africa.
- Access to secondments in a variety of agile-focused delivery teams to solve problems and co-create innovative solutions for the business.
- Participation in real case studies that have been tailored for Sanlam, thus providing technical training and domain knowledge simultaneously.
- Exposure to leading-edge technologies and the opportunity to apply your skills in the process of designing and launching new capabilities or experimenting to deliver MVPs.
- Constant growth, facilitated through tech focus days, experimentation programmes and participation in dedicated innovation competitions.
- Collaboration with experienced Sanlam employees participating in the programme.
- Opportunity to build a career at Sanlam, and gain access to opportunities across a diverse set of capabilities, propositions, and geographies.
All about Sanlam
Sanlam is one of the largest internationally active insurance organisations in the world and has the biggest non-banking financial services footprint on the African continent. The Group has an active presence in 43 countries, operating across the African continent, India, Malaysia, and selected developed markets. It is listed on the Johannesburg, A2X, and Namibian stock exchange.
Further to this, Sanlam has:
- formed an InsurTech partnership with Africa’s largest telco, MTN
- formed an African operations partnership with one of the world’s largest insurers, Allianz
- structured a deal with Absa to create the largest black-owned asset manager in South Africa, Sanlam Investment Holdings
- established a dedicated FinTech cluster, applying cutting-edge technology to build and launch digital market propositions
The application of technology, digital business and data is at the heart of our success. We strive to transform into a technology company with a strategy, and associated investments, geared towards the optimal use of technology to achieve objects and market advantage.
The Sanlam Data & Digital Academy (SDDA) forms part of Sanlam Group Technology. It is designed to build data analytical and technical skills which are critical in a fast-growing technological and data-driven environment.
As a group Centre of Excellence, Sanlam Group Technology is responsible for the provision of digitally enabled technology services, driving business and transformation while providing the Group with its data and digital architecture. Much of our focus falls into the domains of cloud-native architecture, regenerative artificial intelligence (AI), data mesh architecture, machine learning (ML), insurance telematics, advanced cyber security, event streaming, and other technologies such as virtual reality.
What will you do?
The Sanlam Data & Digital Academy is offering two exciting development opportunities over a 13 month period, aimed at launching your career in either the data or digital track.
- You are passionate about all things related to data: finding patterns in data, using data to build insight, aid decision-making and process action, and to create real value.
- You want to establish strong foundations in data management and data engineering, in a fast-moving and complex enterprise data domain.
- You’re interested in tackling complex data problems, and learning how to apply AI, ML, and regenerative AI to datasets to deliver unique insights, prompts and direction.
- You aspire to develop your analytical skills to grow your career in roles such as Data Analyst, Data Scientist, Data Engineer, or AI/ML engineer.
- You have a passion for engineering and solving complex problems.
- You aspire to grow in the domains of engineering and modern engineering with an interest in cloud-native architecture, Infrastructure as Code, and application integration.
- You want to solve problems by applying the latest innovations in the digital world, modern engineering practices, as well as modern integration patterns, and AI techniques.
- You seek a career as a Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Test Engineer, Integration Specialist, or Digital Architect.
During the 13-month program, you will receive:
- Ongoing technical training, real-world enterprise-level experience, and soft skills training in a professional environment.
- Guidance through coaching and mentorship from subject matter experts in the Sanlam Technology and Business Analytics Team to ensure that you are well-equipped to grow and become successful in your chosen career.
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally in order to learn across various disciplines and be equipped with a diverse skillset, gaining access to multiple parts of the data and tech capabilities, and working with multiple parts of the business.
- Rotate to different IT teams to get exposure to a variety of IT disciplines enabling you to find the best fit for your skills and interests.
- The opportunity to participate in innovation competitions and tech learning days, such as the SGT data day, and SGT VR day, as well as vendor-facilitated hackathons.
- Functional training and hands-on experience with the leading IT & BI tools and technology that will enable you to play a key role in Sanlam’s strategy to modernise the IT agenda.
What will make you successful in this role?
The graduate programme is suited to independent and self-motivated individuals with strong analytical skills. Some of the key traits that will make you successful are, but not limited to:
- an innovative mindset and problem-solving ability
- a passion for data and technology
- the ability to juggle deadlines and tasks from various stakeholders
- hold a high value of client centricity and collaboration
- be open to receive feedback for continuous personal growth
Qualifications & Experience
We will only consider students who already hold a degree, or will obtain a degree be the end of 2023. Previous work experience is not a pre-requisite.
Technology degrees such as BCom, BSc, BTech:
- Information Technology / Information Systems / Computer Science
Degrees such as BCom, BSc, BEng:
- Data Science / Data Analytics / Business Intelligence
- Statistics / Mathematics / Finance / Actuarial Science
- Industrial / Electrical / Chemical / Civil / Mechanical Engineering
Knowledge & Skills
We do not expect you to come with a wealth of knowledge as our curriculum will cover everything you need to know. However, it does help if you have a basic understanding of the following:
- programming languages and frameworks such as Python, Java, .Net, and SQL
- data analysis, modelling and visualisation
- business and process analysis
- Care – contributes independently
- Collaboration – contributes independently
- Innovation – contributes independently
- Integrity – contributes independently
Our commitment to transformation
The Sanlam Group is committed to transformation and embracing diversity. This commitment is what drives us to achieve a diverse workplace. Our Employment Equity plan and targets will therefore be considered as part of the recruitment process. With employment equity as a key goal, Sanlam aims to create an inclusive workforce, representative of the demographics of our society as well as giving opportunity to people living with a disability.
Build a successful career with us
We’re all about building strong, lasting relationships with our employees. We know that you have hopes for your future and want to achieve greatness in your career and personal development. We pride ourselves on helping our employees to realise their worth. Throughout our business clusters (Sanlam Retail Affluent and Retail Mass, Sanlam Corporate, Sanlam Emerging Markets, Sanlam Investments, Santam, Miway, as well as the Group Office) Sanlam provides many opportunities for growth and development.
The job posting will close on 30 June 2023. The shortlisting process will commence once applications are closed.